The Direct Employment Scheme (DES) is a strategic response under Guaranteed Employment Program (GEP) to address unemployment and is specifically designed to engage unemployed youth with class 10 pass and above who are willing to take up the scheme with the following objectives to:
- Support guaranteed employment to youth through various modes of engagement and training programs for a maximum period of two years;
- Provide skill training in those critical areas/sectors that are in high demand in the labour market;
- Create a pool of skilled and semi-skilled human resources in the country;
- Promote and inculcate dignity of labour; and
- Address shortage of human resources in the country.
All areas of engagement and training with partner agencies must ultimately guarantee permanent employment.