During the 10th Plan, the Department of Labor will strive to achieve the following objectives.
- Labor laws and regulations concerning labor inspection and labor relations will be drafted, submitted to the Ministry for approval, widely publicized and enforced.
- All enterprises liable to inspection will be inspected on average at least once per year.
- All workers, both national and foreign, will benefit from labor protection activities through a safer and healthier working environment, and improved working conditions.
- A national wage policy for the private and corporate sectors will be in place and implemented.
- A national occupational safety and health policy will be in place and supporting laws and regulations will be enacted, implemented and enforced.
- An integrated labor inspection system will be established and become operational.
- A system for bargaining on a range of labor relations issues, including wages and working conditions, will be established.
- Labor dispute prevention mechanisms will be established and become operational in various enterprises.
- Labor dispute resolution and settlement mechanisms, taking due account of traditional and customary approaches, will be in place and become operational.
- Minimize and manage the numbers of foreign workers.
The operational strategies of the Department to achieve these objectives are:
- Regulations on working conditions under the Labour and Employment Act, 2007 are developed and implemented,
- OHS policy/regulations are put in place,
- A national level wage policy is put in place and implemented,
- An integrated labour inspection system is institutionalized,
- Industrial/labour dispute prevention, resolution and settlement mechanism is institutionalized,
- Collective bargaining system through enterprise level workers association institutionalized.
- Foreign workers recruitment and management system strengthened through continuous upgradation of the labournet and reorganization of the Foreign Workers Recruitment Agents.