The main roles and responsibilities of the department are to:
- Develop a national vocational qualifications framework to provide structure to the Technical and Vocational Education and Training system;
- Establish a national system for the development of National Competency Standards and qualifications based on human resource development needs of the economy;
- Develop and implement a National Assessment and Certification System for award of national qualifications;
- Develop and implement Registration and Accreditation Systems to register Technical and Vocational Education and Training providers, both public and private, and accredit vocational training programmes offered by the registered training providers;
- Develop relevant policies and strategies to link the Bhutan Vocational Qualifications Framework to tertiary education and school education.