Department of Workforce Planning & Skills Development
Department of Human Resources is renamed as Department of Technical Education and officially inaugurated on 20th April 2017. MoLHR and the Department of Technical Education (DTE) in particular is responsible for overseeing all aspects of Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) and the Human Resources Development for the private and corporate sector in the country. All its activities and programs are centered on the broad objectives of developing and implementing a national TVET system which can support development of skilled, productive and professional workforce that drives the country’s socio economic development. As mandated, the DTE has been implementing TVET programmes for out of school youth through the six Technical Training institutes (TTIs) and two Institutes for Zorig Chusum (IZC) under its purview and also providing skills development opportunities through various alternative modes of trainings in its institutes and in collaboration with private training providers. Additionally, it has been implementing skills up-gradation and fellowship programs for the in-service employees of the private and corporate sectors.
To become a leader in Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) in the region.
To achieve a globally competitive workforce through a holistic TVET that creates a more cohesive society and secures a stable economic future for all citizens.
- Develop, strengthen and promote TVET through policy formulation, review, coordination and advocacy;
- To provide access, relevant and quality of TVET;
- Facilitate training of educators in the field of TVET;
- Supply skilled manpower into the Bhutanese economy based on labour market needs;
- Develop and stimulate innovative TVET projects in close co-operation with the technical training institutes;
- Provide policy recommendations based on research in the field of TVET.
- To ensure quality TVET, relevant to labour market;
- To increase access to TVET programmes;
- To provide guidance and support to institutes on changes in TVET policies, interventions and strategies;
- To design, develop and review curricula (public and private institutes);
- Develop and review guidelines (TOT, Curriculum, Curriculum Based Learning Materials. CBLM);
- To carryout capacity development programs to TVET providers (public and private)
TVET Institute under DTE
Regular Technical Training for duration of 3 months 2 years & 1-6 years for Zorig Chusum
- Entry level : Class X Pass students
- The institutes are:
- Technical Training Institute, Khuruthang (TTIK) Punakha
- Technical Training Institute, Samthang, (TTIS) Wangdue phordrang
- Technical Training Institute, Chummey (TTIC) Bumthang
- Technical Training Institute, Ranjung (TTIR) Tashigang
- Technical Training Institute, Thimphu (TTIT) Thimphu
- Jigme Wangchuk Power Training Institute, Dekiling (JWPTI) Sarpang
Institutes for Zorig Chusum (IZCs)
- Institute for Zorig Chusun -Thimphu
- Institute for Zorig Chusum – Trashiyangtse
Five Zorig Commitments
- Commitment to Quality
- Commitment to Integrity
- Commitment to Dignity of Labour
- Commitment to Enterprise
- Commitment to Life-long Learning
Motto 1. Get Skilled. Be somebody!
Through participation and engagement in TVET, the Department aspires youth to become a productive citizen and to “Be Somebody” with identity. The meaning of ‘Be Somebody’ is as follows;
- Be useful to oneself
- Be useful to one’s parents
- Be useful to the community
- Be useful to the TSA WA SUM
Motto 2: Our Skills Formula is 1+1= 0
The Department will work towards making TVET the mainstream choice of the youth and the society to achieve individual, community and nation’s independence through our Skills Formula of 1+1=0.
If every single Bhutanese has one skill she/he could lead independent life. She/he does not have to depend on others. As a whole, Bhutan will achieve self reliance.
So, (1+1=0) means
‘‘One Skill, One Youth, Zero Dependence”
The Department of Technical Education was established under the Ministry of Labour and Human Resources in 2003. It has subsumed the mandates and functions of the erstwhile National Technical Training Authority (NTTA) with the additional responsibility of Human Resource Development (HRD) for the private corporate sector.
A nation with competent and productive workforce with positive values
To achieve a globally competitive workforce for a cohesive society and secure economic future for all citizens through the provisions of policies and programs on Technical Vocational Education and Training and Human Resource Development Activities.
The Department’s activities and programs are centered around the broad objectives of developing and implementing a national TVET system and HRD of the Private and Corporate sector which can support development of skilled, productive and professional workforce that drives the country’s socio economic development.
It is mandated to:
- Develop and implement a national TVET system that responds directly to employment opportunities, economic growth and foster technological development.
- It provides access to vocational training and skills development opportunities for all, through its vocational training institutes, skills development programs and apprenticeship training programs. It is also responsible for providing policy directives and guidance to all any vocational or skills development programs conducted by other agencies or private training providers.
- The Department is also responsible for the formulation of National Human Resource Policy, Human Resource Development planning and Human Resource forecasting as well as the preparation and implementation of the Human Resource Development Master Plan for the corporate and private sectors
1) Vocational Education and Training Division
- Oversees the management and administration of the DHR technical training institutes and the Institutes of Zorig Chusum.
- Increase access and improve quality of training through expansion and establishment of new institutes.
- Implement various short term training programs for the school leavers in priority economic sectors
- Co-ordinate and implement community Skills Development Program and Special Skills Development Program targeted towards enhancing livelihood and poverty alleviation
- Coordinate in-country training selection for public training institutes
- Monitor & evaluate public TVET institutes and all TVET programs.
- Coordinate and implement apprenticeship programs in collaboration with the key industries
- Develop advocacy strategies/materials and conduct all forms of advocacy to promote the development and participation in the TVET programs.
- Liaise with Industries to strengthen Public Private Partnership for promotion and implementation of TVET
2) Training and Professional Services Division
- The division is responsible for building the capacity of the instructors/trainers (from Public and Private Institutes) through the implementation of various Training of Trainers in Pedagogy and Curriculum writing. Conduct capacity building programs in development of learning materials and organize other skills up-gradation programs
- Facilitates and oversees the curriculum design and development for new training courses (thought the subsequent sentence wasn’t necessary)
- Review and validate existing curricula for various training programs to keep pace with changing market needs and standards.
- Monitor and supervise training delivery in the institutes
- Conduct research and evaluation to improve the vocational education and training system
- Publication, dissemination and induction of curricula and materials
3) Human Resources Development Division
- This division facilitates & coordinates the implementation of NHRD policy
- Provides advisory services in terms of HRD forecasting and planning to the various HRD agencies and sectors through the 1) development of National Human Resource Development Road map in accordance with the economic development policy and 2) the HRD planning directions in the medium term through the development of HRD advisory series
- Conducts research on HRD issues and trends
- Responsible for developing and implementation of HRD Master plan for private and corporate sector
- Review & develop regulations for implementation of HRD support to Private & corporate sector
- Coordinate and Process the in-service fellowship and scholarship programs for the Private Corporate sector.
- Currently the division also has the responsibility of reviewing and recommending proposals for the establishment of new training institutes based on the establishment regulations for training providers
Institutes under the Department
- Technical Training Institute Thimphu
- Institute of Zorigchusum Thimphu
- Technical Training Institute Khuruthang
- Technical Training Institute Samthang
- Technical Training Institute Chumey
- Technical Training Institute Rangjung
- Technical Training Institute Sershong
- Institute of Zorigchusum Tashiyangtse
|Institutes Name||Website Address|
|Technical Training Institute, Thimphu||http://www.ttithimphu.bt|
|Technical Training Institute, Khuruthang, Punakha||http://www.ttikhuruthang.bt|
|Technical Training Institute, Samthang, Wangduephodrang||http://www.ttisamthang.bt|
|Technical Training Institute, Chumey, Bumthang||http://www.ttichumey.bt|
|Technical Training Institute, Rangjung, Trashigang||http://www.ttirangjung.bt|
|Jigme Wangchuk Power Training Institute, Gelephu||https://www.jwpti.bt|
|Institute of Zorig Chusm, Thimphu||http://www.nizc.bt|
|Institute of Zorig Chusm, Trashiyangtse||http://www.tizc.bt|